We often align ourselves with others for many reasons and recently I was very pleased when I read a Report that stated 9 in 10 Americans or 88% of married couples marry for love. However, of the remaining 12% there are varied reasons why people choose to do life together. Some of them are:
Often only whispered about, many people make it their mission to choose their life partner based on the potential of being elevated financially. This again, leads into many other issues.
Life partners are chosen based on customs and religious traditions. Often choices are made out of a sense of responsibility.
But no matter how you began your relationship, now that you are there, the question is, how do you navigate through those moments that are not so great. Those times when you have to dig deep to remember the WHY behind your relationship.
Today’s blog is entitled, Loving Wisely, and we know that wisdom is having knowledge of what is true and right coupled with just judgment.
How wonderful would it be if this were in fact a glimpse into the reality of today’s relationships?
However, on the contrary, today’s relationships are often filled with
James 3:13-18 describes two variations of wisdom, saying, Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.
Think about this from a relationship perspective. Would it not be wonderful to be able to have open and honest communication with the one you love without fear of being misunderstood?
The scripture says let them show it by their good life, therefore the type of wisdom a person is moving in is evident by how they are living their lives and how they interact with those around them. This is most often reflected in relationships that call for two uniquely different individuals to interact and make unified decisions on a daily basis.
Think about the last conflict you encountered:
You see, when we seek to fulfill our own personal desires without regard to the needs and wants of others we are operating from a place of earthly wisdom, which is lived out through selfish ambition, jealousy, disorder and evil practices. This type of wisdom only serves to fill us with a sense of self-righteousness and does nothing to reinforce the bonds of love and peace that a true Godly relationship is built upon.
However, when we approach our relationships through heavenly wisdom we operate from a place of humility and mercy.